Phone: (855) 522-2210
About the Council
Board of Directors
Terms and Conditions
Adhesive Binding Certification
Sheetfed Offset Certification
Web Offset Certification
Flexographic Skill Assessment
Sheetfed Skill Assessment
Web Offset Skill Assessment
National Council Adhesive Binding Practice Test
National Council Flexographic Practice Test
National Council Sheetfed Offset Practice Test
National Council Stitcher Practice Test
National Council Web Offset Practice Test
Test Taking Strategies
Retesting and Appeals
Preparation and Testing
Flexographic Study Guide
Sheetfed Offset Study Guide
Stitcher Study Guide
Web Offset Study Guide
NCPIC Stitcher Practice Test
Below is a practice test to gauge your knowledge and expertise on the stitching process. This is not a pass/fail test, rather helps you determine how prepared you are to take other tests offered by the National Council. All questions and answers are copyrighted material and are the sole property of the National Council for Print Industry Certifications.
First and Last Name
Please enter your first and last name
Please enter your email address so your score can be sent to you.
1) Which wire gauge is best suited for a thick book?
a. 22 gauge
b. 25 gauge
c. 27 gauge
d. 28 gauge
2) Grain of paper is important to stitcher operators because it impacts:
a. Quality of folding
b. Ease of trimming
c. Speed of stitching
d. Delivery of finished product
3) Over lubrication of the gathering chain could cause:
a. Inaccurate caliper readings
b. Markings on the cover
c. Oil streaks on the product
d. Signatures failing on the floor
4) Which quality control device detects squareness of a book and rejects it if it is incorrect?
a. Caliper detector
b. Missing stitch detector
c. Oblique sheet detector
d. Trim detector
5) How does product transfer off of the gathering chain?
a. Tucker blade
b. Chain rail
c. Chain feeders
e. B & C
6) Which of the following devices cannot be added to a three-knife trimmer?
a. Small book attachment
b. Multi-hole punch
c. Sixth and seventh knife
7) When setting product transfer from gathering chain to trimmer infeed, the product should transfer in which manner?
a. Determined by head and foot trim
b. Center of infeed
c. Favor foot trim off
d. Favor head trim off
8) What should be adjusted if stitches are not on the spine of a book?
a. Set the compression
b. Align the clinchers
c. Position the stitching heads
d. Adjust the guides, hold downs, and rollers
9) When setting the pocket for a 16-page section with a 3/8-inch high folio lap, it is better to run with the:
a. Gripper opening only on the B and C drum
b. Vacuum on the B and C drum
c. Gripper on the B drum and vacuum on the C drum
d. Vacuum on the B drum and gripper on the C drum
10) If a card is dropping too late, which of the following should be done?
a. Retime pocket to the chain
b. Change vacuum release timing
c. Increase machine cycle speed
d. Alter the saddle chain position
11) When rebuilding stitcher heads, the driver should be replaced if it:
a. Is dirty
b. Has not been replace previously
c. Has broken or chipped edges
d. Is at the manufacturer interval for replacement
12) When checking irregular face trim, which should be checked first?
a. Trimmer belts
b. Book reaching trimmer face stops
c. Trimmer brushes
d. Infeed timing
13) You are running at 14,000 books per hour and netting 10,800. Your run length is 100,000. What is your estimated time of completion?
a. 14 hours
b. 12 hours
c. 9 hours
d. 7 hours
14) Assuming that lockout is impossible, when is it permissible to bypass OSHA’s tagout procedure?
a. When you have warned all other employees verbally
b. When the job will take five minutes or less
c. When you are working alone
d. It is never permissible to bypass the tagout procedure
15) At what sound level is hearing protection required?
a. 50 dBA
b. 85 dBA
c. 110 dBA
d. 120 dBA
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service
Latest Industry Jobs
2019 Wage and Benefit Survey Is Open!
Inaugural ColorUp Digital Boot Camp an Overwhelming Success
2019 GEAs Top Winners and Pictures
2019 State Golf Outings
Group Buying Power Programs
Latest Issues of E-Newsletters
GLGA’s Postpress Services Matrix
Upcoming FREE Member Webinars
Latest issue of Graphics Journal magazine
Upcoming Industry Events
Best Workplace in the Americas Entries Open
Unlock the Potential of the Promotional Products Industry
Print & Packaging Legislative Summit
Premier Print Awards Entry Deadline
Lockout/Tagout Part 2
Lockout/Tagout Part 1
Managing Color Across Multiple Devices
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
BLAH BLAH BLAH
National Council for Print Industry Certifications | W232N2950 Roundy Cr E | Ste 200 | Pewaukee, WI 53072
© 2017 NCPIC